Science Spinners is a massive, hands-on, creative lab giving yr 9 &10 Waikato students tools to demystify the science behind everyday life.
Science Spinners is a pilot project developed by the Hamilton Science Awards Trust with partnership funding from Unlocking Curious Minds Investment fund and aims to fulfill the following objectives:
Over two days, Waikato students will participate in a smorgasbord of scientific activities. Under the watchful eye of Kudos award winning scientists they will gain hands on experience in the creative lab doing some ‘everyday real-life’ problem solving.
- To give the opportunity to interact with actual scientists
- To connect science with everyday life using everyday activities
- To create a hunger, awareness and enthusiasm for science that will guide students into studying more science related topics
Sometimes we aren’t feelin’ that great or maybe your socks stink more than our mates Check out your body mechanics here!
Yum? Yuck? Why do some things taste good and some don’t? and see what’s behind some of the food packaging on our shelves.
Ever wondered what makes the Chiefs so good at what they do? How ‘bout why a skater’s deck can stick through a 360? It’s all about the science!
Ever wondered why people might say “don’t swim in the river?” or “don’t eat that shellfish?” How about “don’t walk on there?” Our everyday actions matter!
TEACHER & SCHOOL INFORMATION
- There are 100 student places for each day. A total of 200 students attending the 2 day event.
- 10 places allocated to each school
- There is NO COST to the School to attend, and all travel costs if using own transport or school mini-buses will be covered in advance.
- Lunch and snacks provided
- Awesome spot prizes throughout the day
- Registrations open NOW
Student Selection - who would benefit?
- Year 10 Students who have shown potential and enthusiasm but need encouragement and guidance.
- Kids who are willing to try new things.
- Kids who have a bit of a spark of enthusiasm, but who for various reasons don’t get engaged, don’t succeed, or see themselves as failures or are disinterested but need encouragement.
- Kids that have shown leadership, who can be encouraging of others and who would be positively enhanced by attending.
Guidelines and conditions of registration:
- Listen and follow instructions given by the Science Spinners team.
- Respect others and be responsible, and act with maturity and common-sense
- Bring a friendly smile and a great attitude!
- Teachers must supervise their students so they don’t miss out on any of the activities.
- Teachers are encouraged to interact and get involved with their student’s learning experience.
- STUDENTS MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY A TEACHER TO THE EVENT